Friday, April 13, 2012

Introducing: Owen Thomas Sederberg...His Birth Story

Owen is here, and we are so in love! He was born March 29th at 6:26 pm. He weighed 8 lbs 8oz, 19.5 inches long. He has tons of hair as you can see and he is just the sweetest little spirit.

My due date was April 6th and I was hoping to do a VBAC but as my pregnancy progressed my doctors felt it was best to do a repeat c-section. So we scheduled it for Monday April 2nd. Little did I know he wanted to come even earlier than that.

The 29th was just like any other day, we slept in, ate breakfast, and then Zach and I showered around 12. I sat around in my towel for a while because I like to be completely dry before I get dressed. I sat on the couch for a while and then stood up. It felt very wet down there and I thought it was strange, so I cleaned myself dry and went back and sat down. I got up and again it felt wet, this happened about five more times. I got dressed and skyped my sister and told her I thought that my water was leaking. She told me to call the doctor so I did and they told me to go to the hospital to get checked. I really didn't want to and I asked if I could just come into the office and get checked but they said no and that I really just needed to go to the hospital.

I then called Tim and told him the situation, he hurried home. I also called my sister and asked her to come get Zach. I was not ready. The house was a mess, I didn't have a bag packed, and I wasn't ready to leave Zach. The next day we were planning a fun day trip with Zach to Salt Lake. I was sad knowing that wasn't going to happen. When my sister got Zach in the car his bottom lip started to quiver. I couldn't hold back my tears, I wasn't ready to say good bye to my baby and I wasn't ready to go have my new baby.

We got checked in around 3 pm, and I got dressed into my gown and sat on the bed. All I could think about was Zach and how bad I felt about leaving him so suddenly. I was really looking forward to our day together. The nurse then came in and tested me to see if I was leaking amniotic fluid. She also hooked me up to the monitor to watch Owen's heart beat and my contractions. My contractions got more painful and closer together. She then told me that I hadn't ruptured. I was like really? Than what am I leaking. She said sometimes the area that is leaking can seal back up after some time. I did wait 3 hours to go in so I thought maybe that is what happened. My contractions continued and got closer. They decided to do a different test. This one was painful, it felt like a shard of glass was being shoved inside me. The nurses then left the room to test it and as the door shut... pop, my water completely broke. I turned to Tim and said "Well, Owen in coming today, my water just broke." The nurses then came back in and said it was positive and I laughed and told them it broke just as they left.

Everything began to move quickly. Before I knew it I was getting stuck with needles everywhere. I was really nervous about getting an epidural again, but it wasn't bad at all. Then before I knew it they were wheeling me down to the OR. They prepped me and the pressure from laying on my back was so uncomfortable. The numb feeling of the epidural wasn't helping, it felt like a brick wall was on top of me... I wanted to rip it out. It took a bit longer to get Owen out because they had to cut through my scar tissue from my previous c-section. About 10 minutes later Owen was born. I could not believe it, I had just given birth to our second son. The thought overwhelmed me as I began to tear up looking at Tim holding our son. He was beautiful and had a ton of hair. They then sewed me back up and I was soon reunited with Tim and our Son.

Zach met Owen the next day. He was not quite sure what to think. He has warmed up to him over the past few weeks and loves being an older brother. He brings me diapers, wipes, blankets, binkis.... he is such a good helper. He also likes to tuck Owen in and gives him a stuffed animal.

I was only in the hospital for about 48 hours. I begged them to let me leave. I just wanted to go home. I wanted to see and hold Zach again. I hated being apart from him. With Zach I was in the hospital for 5 days, and I didn't want to stay that long again. We got home late Saturday night and we had some amazing things happen within 5 min of getting home. I opened the cupboard to hide some candy from Zach and our crock pot flew out and shattered on the ground. Then Tim picked it up and took it to the trash. He came back in and walked around the house. It smelled like dog poop. Tim had stepped in it and walked it through the house. It was an awesome welcome home gift. I couldn't help but just laugh. We cleaned up and went to bed, it felt amazing to be home with my family and in my own bed.

I am so grateful for my amazing sons. I am so blessed and I am so grateful for our precious gift from Heaven. Every time I look at him I fall more in love with his sweet spirit. We love being a little family of four.


lois said...

I love your boys so much!

Sarah said...

Adorable pictures!! Thanks for sharing. I remember feeling the same way when I left Samantha at home to head to the hospital for #2. I was sad that things were going to change for her (and for me). But after Jackson was born, I realized that my heart could always make room for one more - that I didn't have to divide my love. Kind of a simple concept that took the birth of Jackson for me to understand. I hope all continues to go well and that the days of dog poo footprints are behind you! :)